Thursday, June 4, 2009

Is free-lancer Amanda Lindhout Canada's forgotten hostage?

The killing yesterday of British tourist Edwin Dyer in Mali by an Al Qaeda wing, brings to mind the ordeal of Amanda Lindhout. She was kidnapped in Somalia in August 2008. Last week she was heard begging for her life in a five-minute phone interview with Agence France-Presse in Paris.

"Unless my government, the people of Canada, all my family and friends can get $1 million, I will die here, okay? That's certain," AFP quoted her as saying from Somalia.

Three days later, a man calling from the capital Mogadishu offered the Toronto Star a similar interview, which was turned down for fear it would compromise rescue negotiations, the Star says in a story about the captive.

"The conditions are very bad," Lindhout told AFP. "I don't drink clean water. I am fed at most once a day ... I have been sick for months."

Lindhout, 27 years old at her capture, grew up in Sylvan Lake, Alberta, near Red Deer. She was kidnapped with 37-year-old Australian photographer Nigel Brennan.

No comments:

Blog Archive