A financially hobbled Sun News Network has asked the CRTC to force cable carriers to distribute the channel.
Currently Sun News isn’t a part of many analog or basic cable packages. In a filing first submitted to the CRTC last May, the Quebecor-owned network says Rogers’ decision to move it from channel 15 to channel 144 cut viewership in half.
Sun News proposes the CRTC grant the network mandatory distribution, which would obligate carriers to make the channel available on basic cable and boost the network’s beleaguered bottom line.
The filing points out that Sun News is now available in 5.1 million Canadian households, compared with 11.6 million for rival CBC News Network.
Between reduced reach and diminished viewership Sun News estimates it lost $17 million in 2012.
- ► 2019 (47)
- ► 2018 (137)
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- Globe seeking new books editor: Quill and Quhire
- Chinese hackers in sustained attack on NYT, WSJ
- Conrad Black will become a Znaimer Zoomer
- "Star must fawn over Olivia Chow"
- Star Speaker Series guest promotes value of print
- Conrad Black will be a Znaimer Zoomer
- Iranian journalists arrested in raids on papers
- Andrew Coyne: Sun TV’s bid for cable shows its inv...
- Amazon launches Kindle ereaders in Canada
- ING pulls commercial after mental health backlash
- Sun News petitions the CRTC for mandatory distribu...
- Video game pioneer Atari files for bankruptcy prot...
- Barbara Walters hospitalized after fall at British...
- Wife of Allan Slaight makes $50 million donation t...
- Western University Students' Council vs. student n...
- B.C. TV production industry in trouble; wants tax ...
- Hearst magazines to appear on iPad before print
- Sunday Times wants to recover $1.6 million from La...
- Obama Calls on CDC to Probe Media, Video
- Rogers buys Mountain Cable, Shaw spectrum
- TV execs say violent programs are merely escapism
- Why was phony murder-suicide story published?
- Possible NYT layoffs rattle media
- The high price paid for plagiarism
- Asper's Fantasy Sports specialty channel approved ...
- Global News team kicked off reserve
- China reporters, newspaper managers spat cools off
- Elliot Lake mall owners denied confidentiality req...
- Media allowed to use electronic devices in Ontario...
- Does the giant Consumers Electronics show have a f...
- Rex Murphy on the sale of Al Gore's TV network "Cu...
- Extinction tourism: Work at a newspaper while you ...
- Al Jazeera acquires Al Gore's Current TV
- Writer, James Foley missing in Syria since Nov
- Photog killed trying to take picture of Bieber’s car
- ▼ January (35)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)