An Ontario judge has ruled that a law prevents him from releasing wiretap information contained in search warrants used to arrest several people with possible links to Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, the Canadian Press reports.
Police used dozens of search warrants as part of "Project Traveller," a massive gang investigation that led to more than 40 arrests in the city's northwest this spring.
Several media outlets including The Canadian Press, the Toronto Star, the Globe and Mail, CBC, CTV and Postmedia have been involved in a court battle to access the warrants and the information officers submitted to obtain them.
The documents have been sealed or heavily redacted.
In a hearing last week regarding one warrant, lawyers for the Crown said most of the text must be blacked out because the document contains references to wiretaps.
Lawyers for the media, however, argued the information should be released, given that evidence presented in a criminal or civil proceeding is exempt from the prohibition.
In a ruling issued Monday, Ontario court judge Philip Downes said the process officers underwent to request the warrants does not count as a criminal or civil proceeding.
He ordered the Crown to hand over only a redacted version of the warrant.
- ► 2017 (177)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- Denis Brodeur, sports potographer, dead at 82
- One-third of Canadians watch TV online, CRTC says
- Reporters should blush about bus-train coverage
- CBC taps PR lady as head of English language servi...
- Lloyd's List to cease printing, go digital only
- Netflix's growing popularity poses challenge for C...
- Putin, Iranian leader take their messages to op-ed...
- Sun News request to CRTC spurs broad media opposit...
- Rogers names new vp of programming
- Media to get redacted version of search warrant wi...
- Roger Ebert to be succeeded by Richard Roeper as p...
- PM Harper names new director of communications
- Rogers reaches across ocean for new phone CEO
- In Fort McMurray, rock radio tunes out Neil Young ...
- Postmedia to sell properties in B.C. and Alberta t...
- Star, Globe defend stories about the Fords
- Rolling Tweets from Fords press hearing
- Star and Globe to defend stories on Fords and drug...
- The Town Crier about to be relaunched by new owner...
- Campaign journalism in the age of Twitter
- David Frost, broadcaster and writer, dead at 74
- ▼ September (21)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)