Monday, November 11, 2013

ABC News correspondent has on-air mammogram, finds out she has cancer


ABC News correspondent Amy Robach says she has breast cancer, a month after she was given a mammogram on the air for a Good Morning America story. Robach said Monday she’ll have both breasts surgically removed Thursday. Writing on an ABC health blog, she said, “I will go into surgery where my doctors will perform a bilateral mastectomy followed by reconstructive surgery. Only then will I know more about what that fight will fully entail, but I am mentally and physically as prepared as anyone can be in this situation.” She was asked by producers to have the mammogram for a story because she was 40, an age where women are encouraged to be more vigilant checking for breast cancer. “So on Oct. 1, I had my first mammogram, in front of millions of people,” she wrote. “After breathing a big sigh of relief once it was done, my breath was taken away only a few weeks later. “I thought I was going back in for a few follow-up images, only to find out in a matter of hours that I had breast cancer.” She said a doctor told her the mammogram saved her life.

No comments:

Blog Archive