A coalition of journalists is urging Canada’s government to step up pressure on Egyptian officials to release three journalists, including a Canadian, who have been jailed in Egypt for more than a month.
A joint statement from eight organizations, including Canadian Journalists for Free Expression, calls for the “immediate and unconditional release” of Mohamed Fahmy, a 40-year-old Canadian journalist working for Al Jazeera English in Cairo, and two of his colleagues.
At a news conference in Toronto on Thursday, groups representing journalists joined with filmmaker John Greyson, who was himself jailed for 50 days in Egypt last fall, calling the arrests an attack on free expression and pressing the federal government to be more vocal in lobbying for the journalists’ release.
The whole Globe and Mail story
- ► 2019 (47)
- ► 2018 (137)
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- Murphy, Mansbridge under fire for oil industry con...
- Charles Bury, long-time Sherbrooke Record editor, ...
- Hubert Lacroix apologizes for $30K expenses error
- Piers Morgan's CNN show to end
- Edmonton journalist and filmmaker missing in Cambodia
- Media outlets urge judge to release Justin Bieber ...
- Juicy Heenan Blaikie tale rivets lawyers, scribes
- Globe's Peter Desbarats obit
- Media do an about-face on Sochi: Forget the twin t...
- Photoshop turns Olympic medallist sisters into sov...
- Tom Brokaw reveals cancer diagnosis; doctors are '...
- Veteran journalist Peter Desbarats has died
- LeanIn.org and Getty Images out to change women's...
- The Star's Joe Fiorito on the copyright dispute be...
- Novice CBC sports reporter "just happy to be here,...
- Journalists press Ottawa to help free Canadian jai...
- CBC president warns of ‘dark clouds on the horizon’
- Who needs newspapers or TV?
- More layoffs at PostMedia
- Al Jazeera urges Canada’s broadcast regulator to l...
- Have 24-hour TV news channels had their day? (Inte...
- Australian paper tones down coverage of actor's de...
- Photographer James Nachtwey injured in Bangkok
- American Apparel’s newest lingerie model Is 62 yea...
- ▼ February (24)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)