Thursday, September 30, 2010
Vancouver writer and activist Murray Dobbin has started a letter-writing campaign to protest the Globe and Mail’s firing of weekly left-wing columnist Rick Salutin.
“I don’t need to tell you how few progressive voices there are in the mainstream media whether it’s TV, radio or newspapers,” Dobbin wrote in a message being distributed by e-mail. “Someone from outside the country observing the media would assume that this is a reactionary country with virtually no progressive tradition.” Dobbin stated that Salutin told him he was given no reason for his dismissal. Salutin had written a column for the paper since 1991
- ► 2017 (141)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- Maclean's owner Rogers expresses 'regret' over Que...
- House of Commons censures Maclean’s over Quebec ar...
- Globe fires leftist columnist Rick Salution; suppo...
- The Fast Fix appears -- warmed over stuff
- Incredible blunder names wrong "winner" in contest...
- Further award for G&M's "Behind the Veil"
- RIM confirms release of new tablet to rival iPad
- Bell reaches settlement in class action
- Proms and Winbledon cut by BBC World Service
- OUT: CNN news chief Klein, NBC's Zucker
- Rogers, other carriers said to be eyeing Altria
- Wall Street Journal launches new weekender
- Philadelphia Inquirer Lenders Win Auction
- Will E-readers take off or remain a niche?
- Netflix "extras" told to pose as happy consumers
- NYT foresees loss on lower ads and circulation
- Postmedia aiming to have a public offering of its ...
- "Le Droit" cartoon draws ire of Jewish group
- Indo-Canadian radio host’s life threatened
- First Lang fellowship recipient named
- Lisa LaFlamme: From danger zones to a desk
- CBC News Toronto Announces New Anchor Team
- Globe to unveil redesign on Oct 1; release says it...
- Mississauga mayor's testimony draws Toronto media
- The Star's Leslie Scrivener introduces Global's ne...
- Federal scientists muzzled despite 'openness' poli...
- Mexico newspaper begs drug lords to spare reporter...
- Sun apologizes to George Soros for Ezra Levant col...
- State-run Egyptian newspaper explains why it docto...
- Pat Burns is still alive, Twitter out of control
- Cynthia Kinch leaving CBC
- No licence to leer: NatPost columnist on the Mexic...
- CP's Murray Brewster wins award for defence report...
- AP monitoring CNN since it dropped service
- Egyptian newspaper alters Obama-Mubarak pic
- BSkyB review "likely" says U-K government
- Edwin Newman recalled for his literacy and humour
- Kory Teneycke quits Sun TV
- Hollywood Reporter (THR) most read show biz site
- National Post offers employee buyouts
- Woman reporter embarrassed in locker room
- Czechs stop Google's Street View data collection
- Bell officially launches Fibe Internet TV
- "Frugal" Bob Gage leaves Western Mustangs $1 M
- Survey shows transition to online news
- Piers Morgan wants Obama on his CNN talk show
- Fecan decision to leave unexpected, unexplained
- Ivan Fecan to retire when BCE deal complete
- Can phone guys finally find happiness in TV Land?
- "Level playing field" says BCE's Cope
- Bell "Fibe" experiment an alternative to cable?
- What do the players want from this mega-deal?
- Woodbridge (Thomson) release on G&M control
- BCE to take full control of CTV
- Citytv news anchor has kidney cancer
- How Google Instant could reinvent channel flipping...
- British journalist Piers Morgan named as Larry Kin...
- CanWest gains protection extension
- European Parliament wants media to "better communi...
- CBC.ca hires managing editor from The Star
- Google aims for fall U.S. launch of its TV service...
- Tom Clark leaving CTV
- Fox News north: The view from abroad
- Chief of ABC News is resigning
- London police to Investigate Murdoch newspaper pho...
- Pulitzer-winning cartoonist Paul Conrad dies at 86...
- Judge OKs sale of Ohio-based newspaper chain
- Postmedia cutting newspaper jobs
- German court rules against YouTube over copyright
- Former Globe and Mail editor Ed Greenspon joins To...
- Sun TV News asks for 3-year must-carry from CRTC
- Petition calls Sun TV News "hate media"
- JAMA editor resigns after ten years on job
- Washington Times Sold for $1 to Allies of Rev. Moo...
- Atwood miffed with Harper, opposes Sun News TV
- Environmental Militant Killed at Discovery Channel...
- Postmedia unveils new logo
- Thomson Reuters Buys Healthcare Data Management
- ▼ September (78)