Postmedia Network Canada Corp. has announced 54 layoffs at its British Columbia subsidiary, which owns the Vancouver Sun and Vancouver Province, the Financial Post reports.The company told staff Friday that the layoffs at Pacific Newspaper Group are part of a previously announced plan to reduce salary costs by 20 per cent across the company’s nationwide operations.
Unifor Local 2000, which represents employees at Pacific Newspaper Group, said that the layoffs, combined with the departure of 38 staff who took voluntary buyouts in January, “would reduce the entire staff by 42 per cent.” Postmedia had roughly 4,000 employees across Canada.
- Bell Media cuts CTV Calgary sports reporter positi...
- Globe and Mail suspends columnist Leah McLaren aft...
- Former Star medical reporter Marilyn Dunlop dead a...
- Author of Maclean’s Quebec malaise piece steps dow...
- Vice journalist must turn over materials to RCMP, ...
- Betty Kennedy dead at 91
- Jimmy Breslin, chronicler of wise guys and underdo...
- Subway seeking $210-million in lawsuit against CBC...
- Brit newspaper has staff working from home; good p...
- CNN, Daily Caller seek press gallery membership am...
- Famous AP photog Nick Ut retiring
- Postmedia announces 54 layoffs at Vancouver Sun an...
- CBC's The National going digital
- John Boynton picked as new Torstar CEO
- ▼ March (14)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)