The Prime Minister’s Office pressured Sen. Mike Duffy to repay ineligible housing expenses and fed him talking points on the matter in an effort to make a story that had become a political liability go away, Duffy’s lawyer charged Monday.
During an almost hour-long press conference in Ottawa, Donald Bayne told reporters that both Senate leadership and the Prime Minister’s Office had cleared Duffy’s housing claims for his home in Prince Edward Island.
But as scrutiny over senators’ living and travel expenses grew, the PMO began orchestrating a campaign to get Duffy’s expenses out of the headlines, Bayne said.
“He’s become too hot politically,” Bayne said. “He’s gone from being one of their greatest political assets to one of their greatest political liabilities.”
Bayne read from a handful of emails and memorandums during his news conference, but said they were only the “tip of the evidentiary iceberg.”
Read more on the CTV site
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- Colin Perkel (of CP) reviews a just published hist...
- Police investigate radio host John Down's arrest
- News of the World hacking trial begins
- Not many tweets on Twitter IPO
- Tough times for National Post, PostMedia papers
- Harper fires back at Duffy over Senate expenses
- Privacy Commissioner to launch probe into Bell dat...
- Mike Duffy: The PM ordered me!
- Duffy declares war!
- Rob Ford defends radio show after complaint by Tor...
- It’s mistake to think PM doesn’t care about media:...
- Toronto Councillor Paul Ainslie wants Ford brother...
- Pamela Wallin ready to fight possible Senate suspe...
- Harperites ban journalists from PMs speech; camera...
- Complaint against Toronto Star Ford story dismisse...
- Paris Herald-Tribune is gone!
- Les Pyette headed to News Hall of Fame
- Pay-Per-Channel comes to Canada as CRTC rules on f...
- Former Star photographer Boris Spremo named to Can...
- York University sues Toronto Life over sex-assault...
- Sen Duffy said to have awarded $65,000 contract to...
- Bill Eppridge, photojournalist, dead at 75
- John Honderich says the federal Conservatives have...
- The PMO wanted to prevent a CTV camera from boardi...
- ▼ October (24)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)