Thursday, July 28, 2016

Why Stephen Colbert can no longer use ‘Colbert Report’ character on CBS

After CBS “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert told viewers that lawyers representing his old Comedy Central show said he couldn’t be “Stephen Colbert” anymore, he thumbed his nose at them with a transparent dodge, the AP's David Bauder reports.
Lawyers representing his old company complained to CBS after he revived the character he played under his own name on “The Colbert Report” — a clueless, full-of-himself cable news host. They said that the character “Stephen Colbert” was their intellectual property, “which is surprising, since I never considered that guy much of an intellect,” Colbert said on the “Late Show” on Wednesday.
The audience booed when Colbert, “with a heavy heart,” said it has been decreed that the character is kaput.
“I feel the same way, but what can I do?” Colbert said. “The lawyers have spoken. I cannot reasonably argue that I own my own face and name. And as much as I’d like to have that guy on again, I can’t.”

No comments:

Blog Archive