Roger Ailes, who became one of the most powerful figures in both US politics and media by turning the Fox News network into a booming voice for conservatives before he was brought down by sexual harassment charges, has died at the age of 77. His death was reported by Newshub and other media.
Ailes worked as a media strategist for Republican Presidents Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George HW Bush before launching Fox News in 1996.
His wife Elizabeth said in a statement on Thursday he was a patriot who was profoundly grateful for the opportunities his country gave him.
As founder, chairman and chief executive officer of Fox News, Ailes became one of the most influential figures in the Republican Party, and the network was integral to US President Donald Trump's successful run for the White House in 2016.
From the start, Ailes had a clear conservative vision of what he wanted Fox to be as he took the network to the top of the cable news ratings and made it a major profit centre for Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox media empire.
But accusations of Ailes's treatment of women would be his downfall.
- ► 2018 (78)
- New York Times eliminating Public Editor
- Howard Levitt: Journalists need to start suing, be...
- Andrew Scheer says he would axe CBC News!
- The National might replace Peter Mansbridge with m...
- Supreme Court to decide who owns the 38,000 storie...
- New York Times will offer buyouts to editors in pu...
- Canada to launch an offshoot of a worldwide networ...
- Roger Ailes dead at 77
- CBC announces leadership changes at The National f...
- Two more journalists killed in Mexico
- Jonathan Kay resign as editor of The Walrus: Repor...
- High-profile Canadian journalists pledge to raise ...
- CBC London, Ont. station set to launch in June
- Magazine editor quits after outrage over column sa...
- Pew study finds Democrats more interested in media...
- Desmond Cole and the Toronto Star
- Everything is on the table’ in Torstar turnaround ...
- ZoomerMedia loses appeal in ex-CEO’s lawsuit
- Torstar posts $24.4-million loss as revenue slides...
- Exiled Iranian TV executive shot dead in Istanbul
- The Sun's Lorrie Goldstein says Trump was right to...
- ▼ May (21)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)