A deal between media giants Postmedia and Torstar will result in the closing of many community newspapers, the CBC reports.
In this region, Our London will be closed, as will the St. Mary's Journal-Argus, the St. Mary's Weekender, the St. Thomas/Elgin Weekly News and the Stratford City Gazette.
The St. Mary's Journal-Argus has been publishing since the mid 1850s.
"This transaction allows Postmedia to focus on strategic areas and core products, and allows us to continue with a suite of community-based products, in a deeply disrupted industry," said Postmedia CEO Paul Godfrey in a statement.
Torstar bought eight community publications, seven daily newspapers and two free dailies from Postmedia.
- ► 2019 (47)
- ► 2018 (137)
- Supreme Court agrees to hear Vice Media case about...
- John Doyle about the Matt Lauer firing
- Postmedia to close community newspapers in Stratfo...
- TIME Inc. sold to Meredith and Koch brothers
- Amanda Lang rejoining CTV and BNN
- CTV thrashing sports at local stations
- CBC "comfortable" with ratings of The National; li...
- Koch brothers reported poised to buy TIME Magazine...
- John Doyle chimes in on Facebook; sticks to his as...
- Hilary Weston Writers’ Trust award winners announc...
- Come back Pastor Mansbridge says the Globe's John ...
- Moose Jaw Times-Herald to publish last issue Dec. ...
- Paul Adams in iPolitics on the new CBC National
- Canadian Media Guild frustrated with Corus
- National NewsMedia Council launches industry surve...
- Toronto police daily newscast will provide ‘unfilt...
- ▼ November (16)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)