The director general of the BBC has resigned in the wake of a controversial broadcast on child sex abuse, the BBC announced Saturday night.
The director, George Entwistle, issued a statement saying, “I have decided that the honorable thing to do is to step down.”
Earlier Saturday, Entwistle said the report, broadcast on the Newsnight program, never should have been broadcast.
The report wrongly implicated a former Conservative Party official, Alistair McAlpine, the BBC statement said. He admitted that the program further damaged trust in a broadcaster already reeling from the fallout over its decision not to air similar allegations against one of its star hosts.
George Entwistle’s comments followed an embarrassing retreat for the BBC, which apologized Friday for its Nov. 2 “Newsnight” TV show on alleged sex abuse in Wales in the 1970s and 1980s.
During the program, victim Steve Messham claimed he had been abused by a senior Conservative Party figure. The BBC didn’t name the alleged abuser, but online rumours focused on Alistair McAlpine, a Conservative Party member of the House of Lords. On Friday, he issued a fierce denial and threatened to sue.
Messham then said he had been mistaken about his abuser’s identity and apologized to McAlpine, prompting fury over the BBC’s decision to air the report and the suspension of investigative programs at “Newsnight.”
“We should not have put out a film that was so fundamentally wrong,” Entwistle told BBC radio on Saturday. “What happened here is completely unacceptable.”
- ► 2019 (47)
- ► 2018 (137)
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- An inquiry into the culture, practices and ethics ...
- Sun papers to move behind paywall
- Warren Buffet still bullish on newspapers despite ...
- Journalists caught freeloading -- at IKEA. No kidd...
- Ottawa under pressure to sign Internet surveillanc...
- Bomb found under car of Pakistani journalist whom ...
- Britain's Leveson Inquiry issues report
- TSN appoints digital media execs
- Interesting New York Times piece on "in bed with ...
- Profile: Lord Hall, the new BBC director -general
- Tom Haberstroh, Margo Harper fired from CTV
- Online publication fights Gallery strictures
- Media a pivotal player in libel suit against Ford
- BCE and Astral try again for CRTC approval
- The Today Show Goes Female At The Top
- Reporters w/o Borders re attack on Hamas media
- Fearing for the future of journalism
- BCE, Astral said to be ready to announce a new deal
- Canada Year Book felled by the Internet
- Lorrie Goldstein laid off at the Toronto Sun
- Interesting piece in New York's Photo District New...
- Is Warren Buffet getting less bullish on newspapers?
- Radler gets off easy at OSC hearing
- Quebecor’s sweeping job cuts highlight newspaper i...
- Sun TV wants you to start paying for it whether yo...
- TVO's Saturday Night at the Movies bites the dust ...
- Sun Media to cut 500 jobs
- Now BBC news chiefs step aside . . .
- BBC needs radical overhaul, chairman says
- BBC chief resigns over false sex abuse report broa...
- Media fight on the right over GOP
- "Legendary" CBC radio drama studio to close
- Cleveland Plain Dealer staff launch campaign to sa...
- Star launches eRead "Star Dispatches"
- Chief Justice recuses herself re Black decision
- OpenFile bank accounts frozen
- Tom McKee dead at age 76
- Karl Rove questions own decision desk at Fox
- Cogeco founder Henry Audet dead at 94
- Fears Sandy may have cost U.S. media millions
- Bell Media calls it a wrap at Masonic Temple
- British photographer wins $50K Grange Prize
- ▼ November (42)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)