Linda McQuaig, author and Toronto Star columnist, is announcing today that she is vying to be the New Democratic Party candidate in the Toronto Centre byelection, The Star's Susan Delacourt reports. It’s a decision prompted by what McQuaig said is a “particularly interesting moment” in Canadian politics right now and what she sees as the right time to “not just be on the sidelines commenting, but to jump in and try to actually bring about change.” McQuaig becomes the third journalist to take the leap into what’s shaping up to be a hotly contested race — within political parties and between them. She is running for the NDP nomination against Jennifer Hollett, who worked for Much Music, CBC and CTV. And about a week ago, international author and journalist Chrystia Freeland announced she would be seeking the Liberal nomination in the race to fill Bob Rae’s old seat in Parliament. More
- ► 2019 (47)
- ► 2018 (137)
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- TheScore launches newsroom, upgrades popular mobil...
- CRTC raises flag over ties between Corus, Shaw
- Bell Media president directed CTV, radio stations ...
- How it works between the press and the PMO
- Scuffle results when PMO refuses to let Chinese jo...
- Harrowing tale of a U.S. photographer who escaped ...
- Ontario Press Council to hold public hearings on R...
- Amanda Lindhout book reveals Somalia captivity des...
- Ottawa launches website to counter telecoms' claims
- Roy Bonisteel, long time host of CBC's "Man Alive"...
- San Francisco Chronicle pulls down its paywall
- Baltimore Sun's Jack Germond dead at 85
- Sky News cameraman, Dubai newspaper reporter kille...
- No more free news at star.com as paywall goes up
- Star closes two online biz sites, 15 jobs lost
- Hill Times on journalists vying for seat in Commons
- One-stop spot for TV news channels proposal
- CRTC denies Sun News a spot on basic cable
- ‘A complete and total myth’: Discovery channel und...
- Linda McQuaig becomes third journalist to contest ...
- Amazon founder Bezos buys Washington Post
- NYT takes historic hosing on sale of Boston Globe
- Great piece by The Star's Susan Delacourt comparin...
- The financial romance has gone out of Harlequin as...
- ▼ August (24)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)