Friday, August 2, 2013
The financial romance has gone out of Harlequin as Torstar Corp profit drops 44%
Torstar Corp. reported a sharp decline in profit in the second quarter as its media division continued to struggle with plunging print advertising revenues and even its book publishing business hit an unexpected lull.
Torstar, which publishes the Toronto Star and the Metro chain of free daily newspapers, said Wednesday that net income for the quarter was $18-million or $0.23 per share, down 44% from $0.41 per share in the same period last year.
Its romance novel publishing division Harlequin posted a surprising drop, said David Holland, president and chief executive of the Toronto-based company.
“We had anticipated lower earnings at Harlequin but not to this extent,” Mr. Holland said during a conference call with analysts. “Lower volumes, including a deterioration in overseas volumes, which we were concerned about in the last quarter, were responsible for the shortfall to expectations.”
- ► 2017 (175)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- TheScore launches newsroom, upgrades popular mobil...
- CRTC raises flag over ties between Corus, Shaw
- Bell Media president directed CTV, radio stations ...
- How it works between the press and the PMO
- Scuffle results when PMO refuses to let Chinese jo...
- Harrowing tale of a U.S. photographer who escaped ...
- Ontario Press Council to hold public hearings on R...
- Amanda Lindhout book reveals Somalia captivity des...
- Ottawa launches website to counter telecoms' claim...
- Roy Bonisteel, long time host of CBC's "Man Alive"...
- San Francisco Chronicle pulls down its paywall
- Baltimore Sun's Jack Germond dead at 85
- Sky News cameraman, Dubai newspaper reporter kille...
- No more free news at star.com as paywall goes up
- Star closes two online biz sites, 15 jobs lost
- Hill Times on journalists vying for seat in Common...
- One-stop spot for TV news channels proposal
- CRTC denies Sun News a spot on basic cable
- ‘A complete and total myth’: Discovery channel und...
- Linda McQuaig becomes third journalist to contest ...
- Amazon founder Bezos buys Washington Post
- NYT takes historic hosing on sale of Boston Globe
- Great piece by The Star's Susan Delacourt comparin...
- The financial romance has gone out of Harlequin as...
- ▼ August (24)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)