The public moved a small step closer Tuesday to learning whether last month’s massive guns-and-gangs crackdown in Toronto’s west end had any connection to Mayor Rob Ford, the NatPosts's Megan O'Toole reports.
An Ontario judge gave the Crown two months to provide media lawyers with a vetted copy of sealed search warrant materials related to Project Traveller, rejecting the prosecution’s request to adjourn the matter for six to nine months.
“The Crown’s position is not compatible with the presumption that judicial proceedings are open and public,” Justice Philip Downes said.
“Justice delayed can in some circumstances mean that justice is denied. This may be one of those instances.”
Although his ruling stipulates that media lawyers must be given a copy of the warrant materials by Aug. 27, it may still be months more before the public gets a glimpse. After reviewing the information, media lawyers, who were initially hoping to obtain the documents later this month, must separately make arguments for a public unsealing.
- ► 2019 (47)
- ► 2018 (137)
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- CFRB moving to Queen St. W. after 50 years at Yong...
- Freedom to photograph under threat
- Journalist Chrystia Freeland to seek Liberal nomin...
- Todd Shapiro gone from Dean Blundell Show
- Ad campaigns based on Prince George's birth
- Royal baby: Was global coverage over the top?
- There are a million angles to Big Royal Baby Story
- CBC rejects ad critical of Harper government’s inf...
- Epoch Times says Star bundling communism
- Former WH reporter Helen Thomas dead at 92
- Rolling Stone’s Tsarnaev cover is great journalism...
- Gina Mallet, restaurant critic, dead at 75
- Man who posted murder video on his website granted...
- The gift that keeps on giving: Duffy and Senate sc...
- If Harper wants to be heard, he goes to YouTube or...
- Sun Media closing 11 papers, cutting 360 jobs
- Toronto Sun editor stepping down
- Somalia raises minimum journalist age to 40
- TV station sued over use of racially offensive nam...
- Who breaks news first: Media or Twitter?
- TV going to the dogs?
- Egyptian videographer captures his own death when ...
- Microsoft to close down MSN TV
- Globe says it took action against Wong "on princip...
- Stepson charged in connection to murders of famed ...
- Jan Wong ordered to repay Globe separation payment
- One-time anchor of The National may be out of Harp...
- Conservatives planned to reimburse Senator Mike Du...
- Elliot Lake Standard selling building --a microcos...
- Telecom giants challenge CRTC code of conduct
- Crown gets two months to provide vetted copy of se...
- Rob Ford scandal prompts court fight over drug, gu...
- Ex-BBC chief faces questions on payoffs
- ▼ July (33)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)