The lure of a $25 basic TV package has not helped stem the tide of Canadians cancelling their cable subscriptions. And critics believe the added pick-and-pay channel options coming next month may not help much either, the CBC's Sophia Harris reports.
Canadians continued to cut the cord in record numbers following the launch of the CRTC-mandated basic TV plans on March 1.
This is according to Mario Mota, with Boon Dog Professional Services, an Ottawa-based research and consulting firm. Mota crunched subscriber numbers for Canada's seven major publicly traded TV providers, including Bell, Rogers, Telus and Shaw.
He found they lost a combined total of 98,476 TV customers in their first two fiscal quarters during the period of March through September.
That's a loss of 13 per cent more customers than the same period in 2015.
- ► 2018 (79)
- ► 2017 (183)
- Revolution at The Washington Post - a must read!
- Tom Clark to leave Gobal and maybe retire?
- CBC asks for $400M more in funding to go ad-free
- FinPost reports layoffs at Huffington Post
- NatPost gearing up to go digital only - iPolitics
- Postmedia executives receive $2.3-million in reten...
- Former CBC producers and execs calling for ad free...
- Ontario court sides with Bell in dispute over VMed...
- Donald Trump’s media summit was a ‘f—ing firing sq...
- Alison Smith hosts new foreign affairs show on CPA...
- Shomi shutdown under fire by CRTC chief
- Ottawa pressed to curb CBC’s growing digital prese...
- Mike Bullard charged with criminal harassment
- Canadian abandoning cable TV in record numbers
- Trump bucks protocol on press access
- Erin Davis announces retirement after nearly 30 ye...
- The war against the media will go on past the U.S,...
- Rolling Stone guilty of libel in campus rape story...
- CNN gets big boost in Canada from election coverag...
- Superbowl ruling will cost Bell one-third of adver...
- Torstar posts profit, ad revenue declines continue...
- UN offers The Rebel press accreditation for climat...
- ▼ November (22)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)