The blog Canadaland reports that a group of high-ranking former producers and executives at CBC, calling themselves Public Broadcasting in Canada for the 21st Century, have submitted a proposal to the Heritage Ministry, calling for an ad-free CBC.
The signees include Bernie Lucht, the former Executive Producer of the
CBC Radio show Ideas, and Jeffrey Dvorkin, former Managing Editor and Chief
Journalist for CBC Radio, and former ombudsman of NPR Radio. Dvorkin currently
runs the University of Toronto’s Journalism department. They write:
It has become obvious to many that requiring our public broadcaster to
apply the practices of the private sector to its civic and cultural mission has
not resulted in the creation of a large body of distinctive, informative and
inspiring social and cultural capital for Canadians. While French services and
English Radio have fared better, it has turned CBC English television into what
its own executives have described as a “publicly subsidized commercial
- ► 2018 (78)
- ► 2017 (183)
- Revolution at The Washington Post - a must read!
- Tom Clark to leave Gobal and maybe retire?
- CBC asks for $400M more in funding to go ad-free
- FinPost reports layoffs at Huffington Post
- NatPost gearing up to go digital only - iPolitics
- Postmedia executives receive $2.3-million in reten...
- Former CBC producers and execs calling for ad free...
- Ontario court sides with Bell in dispute over VMed...
- Donald Trump’s media summit was a ‘f—ing firing sq...
- Alison Smith hosts new foreign affairs show on CPA...
- Shomi shutdown under fire by CRTC chief
- Ottawa pressed to curb CBC’s growing digital prese...
- Mike Bullard charged with criminal harassment
- Canadian abandoning cable TV in record numbers
- Trump bucks protocol on press access
- Erin Davis announces retirement after nearly 30 ye...
- The war against the media will go on past the U.S,...
- Rolling Stone guilty of libel in campus rape story...
- CNN gets big boost in Canada from election coverag...
- Superbowl ruling will cost Bell one-third of adver...
- Torstar posts profit, ad revenue declines continue...
- UN offers The Rebel press accreditation for climat...
- ▼ November (22)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)