CP reports that CNN has seen ratings soar in Canada in the run up to the presidential election. For the final presidential debate on Oct. 19, CNN saw its share of Canadian viewers climb above the 1.5 million mark in overnight estimates. Broken down into half-hour periods, CNN pulled an estimated 1.2, 1.3, 1.5 and 1.1 million viewers between the hours of 9:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. ET.
That dwarfs the overnight estimates registered by CBC News Network, which drew 428,000, 400,000, 300,000 and 194,000 on the same day and times. Further behind was CTV News Channel, clocking in at 112,000, 117,000, 125,000 and 108,000 estimated viewers.
Only a Major League Baseball playoff game between Toronto and Cleveland on Sportsnet (2.7 million) and an episode of “Survivor” on Global (1.6 million) beat CNN in Canada on that night.
About a year ago, on an average October weeknight, CNN trailed the two Canadian news outlets.
On Oct 27, 2015, CNN drew about 45,000 viewers in Canada, compared to 272,000 for CBC News Network and 64,000 for CTV News Channel.
CNN is also on a roll in the United States. For the first time in 15 years, CNN has beaten Fox News in key metrics (available on fewer cable and satellite packages, Fox News ratings are negligible in Canada) and has topped MSNBC for 28 straight months. It also just enjoyed its most-watched month in 11 years.
- Revolution at The Washington Post - a must read!
- Tom Clark to leave Gobal and maybe retire?
- CBC asks for $400M more in funding to go ad-free
- FinPost reports layoffs at Huffington Post
- NatPost gearing up to go digital only - iPolitics
- Postmedia executives receive $2.3-million in reten...
- Former CBC producers and execs calling for ad free...
- Ontario court sides with Bell in dispute over VMed...
- Donald Trump’s media summit was a ‘f—ing firing sq...
- Alison Smith hosts new foreign affairs show on CPA...
- Shomi shutdown under fire by CRTC chief
- Ottawa pressed to curb CBC’s growing digital prese...
- Mike Bullard charged with criminal harassment
- Canadian abandoning cable TV in record numbers
- Trump bucks protocol on press access
- Erin Davis announces retirement after nearly 30 ye...
- The war against the media will go on past the U.S,...
- Rolling Stone guilty of libel in campus rape story...
- CNN gets big boost in Canada from election coverag...
- Superbowl ruling will cost Bell one-third of adver...
- Torstar posts profit, ad revenue declines continue...
- UN offers The Rebel press accreditation for climat...
- ▼ November (22)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)