Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Prosecutors withdrew all charges against HGTV co-host Anthony Sayers on Tuesday, his lawyer says. The contractor is pursuing legal action against the Toronto Police Service as a result of what he calls “false charges” and a “malicious media attack.”
Dubbed the “trusty contractor” in the popular show The Unsellables, Sayers was arrested last month and charged with extortion, one count of attempted fraud under $5,000 and two counts of criminal harassment. Two weeks later, the charge of extortion was dropped. According to police, the owner of a home on a crescent near Yonge St. and Summerhill Ave. hired Sayers’ general contracting company to finish work begun by another contractor. After the first week, homeowner Doreen Boulos was disappointed with the work. Police alleged the contractor and his client had an argument, and that, in the following weeks Boulos was contacted “sometimes several times a day, and the communications were hostile” and escalating. In a Toronto Police news release dated March 14, it was said “police believe there may be more victims.” Prosecutors had the remaining charges dismissed Tuesday
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- Strange goings-on at Harper's news conferences
- Royal wedding television audience hit 24million pe...
- CBS reporter breaks silence on her assault in Egyp...
- Rogers to roll out faster, next- generation networ...
- Sun News drawing as little as 4,000 viewers
- Harassment charges dropped against HGTV host
- Peladeau says Conservative operative deliberately ...
- The typewriter’s day is nearly done
- Sony says PlayStation hacker got personal data
- McClatchy Q1 revenue falls, newspaper ad sales dow...
- Now we've heard everything!
- The Sun came up, and it was dead boring -- John D...
- BBC, under criticism, struggles to tighten Its bel...
- New York Times gains online subscribers
- Japan files protest over newspaper cartoon about n...
- Tim Hetherington: 1970 – 2011
- Blogger wonders if Sun News can move votes
- Equipping the homeless as news gatherers
- Indignant NOW files complaint against the mayor
- The struggle for the future of media in Canada
- Sun News gets on, long road to go
- Guardian regrets tabloid excesses
- Lou Clancy to head Postmedia editorial ops
- Sun News debuts this Monday
- Stars pumps readership by getting you naked
- Digital shift: AP to change newspaper fee formula
- Stephen Harper’s five-question limit
- Shaw delaying its wireless launch
- RIM’s Mike Lazaridis walks out of BBC interview
- Two U.S. reporters reach crippled Fukishima-1 nuke...
- Study: People won't pay for news online
- Quebec press council reprimands Maclean's for decl...
- Sun News loses host just days away from launch
- Newspapers and social media: Still not really gett...
- EYE Weekly to become The Grid
- TSN launches its attack on sports radio
- Mobile ad revenue surpasses online
- Amazon introduces cheaper Wi-Fi Kindle with ads
- Tory candidate stops Twitter activity after ‘insen...
- French debate moved to Wednesday over Habs game
- Murdoch paper admits phone hacking as victim rejec...
- Postmedia slips to loss on one-time charge
- Lady Gaga to edit "Metro" for a day
- NBC's Meredith Vieira under fire for not challengi...
- Larry King's new gig: Breath freshener ads
- Paul Godfrey says newspapers will survive
- Glenn Beck out at Fox News
- "We value your voice" -- but not much
- News of the World staffers arrested
- Dan Bjarnason's Korean war book launched
- Globe's take on Sun's coverage of CBC
- What went wrong with Couric anchorship?
- "Twitter election" is out there
- BCE launches Bell Media for online use
- Torstar Q1 results May 4, 2011
- Postmedia speculation: Harper running in "bubble"
- ▼ April (56)
- ► 2010 (1055)