Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Despite launching in the middle of a federal election, the new Sun News Network has so far had little impact on the Canadian news scene. The Quebecor venture launched April 18 after months of “Fox News North” buzz and had an estimated 37,000 viewers across Canada tune in for its initial half-hour, when it hit the airwaves with a splashy promise of “hard news and straight talk.” Showcased commentator Ezra Levant’s The Source rated highest with an estimated 31,000 viewers on opening night, according to BBM Canada overnight estimates provided by sources.
That total had fallen to 12,000 by Wednesday, with less than 1,000 viewers in the coveted 25-to-54-year-old demo. By this Monday, a week after launch, Levant’s show was up to 19,000 viewers. By the end of Sun News’s first week, shows featuring Winnipeg-based radio host Charles Adler and Ottawa-based journalist Brian Lilley were drawing 4,000 and 5,000 viewers across Canada in their evening slots (Adler had opened the week with 31,000 viewers and Lilley with 17,000).
- ► 2017 (125)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- Strange goings-on at Harper's news conferences
- Royal wedding television audience hit 24million pe...
- CBS reporter breaks silence on her assault in Egyp...
- Rogers to roll out faster, next- generation networ...
- Sun News drawing as little as 4,000 viewers
- Harassment charges dropped against HGTV host
- Peladeau says Conservative operative deliberately ...
- The typewriter’s day is nearly done
- Sony says PlayStation hacker got personal data
- McClatchy Q1 revenue falls, newspaper ad sales dow...
- Now we've heard everything!
- The Sun came up, and it was dead boring -- John D...
- BBC, under criticism, struggles to tighten Its bel...
- New York Times gains online subscribers
- Japan files protest over newspaper cartoon about n...
- Tim Hetherington: 1970 – 2011
- Blogger wonders if Sun News can move votes
- Equipping the homeless as news gatherers
- Indignant NOW files complaint against the mayor
- The struggle for the future of media in Canada
- Sun News gets on, long road to go
- Guardian regrets tabloid excesses
- Lou Clancy to head Postmedia editorial ops
- Sun News debuts this Monday
- Stars pumps readership by getting you naked
- Digital shift: AP to change newspaper fee formula
- Stephen Harper’s five-question limit
- Shaw delaying its wireless launch
- RIM’s Mike Lazaridis walks out of BBC interview
- Two U.S. reporters reach crippled Fukishima-1 nuke...
- Study: People won't pay for news online
- Quebec press council reprimands Maclean's for decl...
- Sun News loses host just days away from launch
- Newspapers and social media: Still not really gett...
- EYE Weekly to become The Grid
- TSN launches its attack on sports radio
- Mobile ad revenue surpasses online
- Amazon introduces cheaper Wi-Fi Kindle with ads
- Tory candidate stops Twitter activity after ‘insen...
- French debate moved to Wednesday over Habs game
- Murdoch paper admits phone hacking as victim rejec...
- Postmedia slips to loss on one-time charge
- Lady Gaga to edit "Metro" for a day
- NBC's Meredith Vieira under fire for not challengi...
- Larry King's new gig: Breath freshener ads
- Paul Godfrey says newspapers will survive
- Glenn Beck out at Fox News
- "We value your voice" -- but not much
- News of the World staffers arrested
- Dan Bjarnason's Korean war book launched
- Globe's take on Sun's coverage of CBC
- What went wrong with Couric anchorship?
- "Twitter election" is out there
- BCE launches Bell Media for online use
- Torstar Q1 results May 4, 2011
- Postmedia speculation: Harper running in "bubble"
- ▼ April (56)
- ► 2010 (1055)