The Walrus Magazine has hired back — with pay — three of the unpaid interns it was forced to lay off after a surprise inspection by the ministry of labour earlier this year, the Toronto Star reports.
With funding provided by the Chawkers Foundation, the Walrus will be filling the new positions as part of a six-month “editorial fellowship program.”
“The new Chawkers Fellows will be solely funded by The Chawkers Foundation who will provide a stipend to the three of them (in an amount acceptable to the Ministry of Labour) for the six month period, which begins now and ends at the end of September,” wrote co-publisher Shelley Ambrose in an email to the Star.
“We, of course, offered the opportunity to those who were affected by the Ministry of Labour’s shut down,” she wrote.
Ambrose would not say how much the former unpaid interns are being paid, nor would she say whether they are performing the same tasks they did before.
In late March, the ministry of labour carried out a series of surprise inspections at magazines, forcing a number of them, including Toronto Life and The Walrus, to end their long-standing unpaid internship programs.
- ► 2017 (141)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- Millennials quitting live TV
- Remember Arthur Kent, the "Scud Stud?" He is still...
- Anne Marie Owens named editor of National Post
- Knowlton Nash dead at 86
- French photographers take to the walls to display ...
- Jill Abramson forced out as New York Times executi...
- Pippa Middleton axed as national newspaper columni...
- TTC police shut down Tim Hudak's photo-op on Toron...
- CBC's Alison Smith, Nancy Wilson announce retireme...
- Linden MacIntyre to leave CBC's the fifth estate
- Torstar posts $7M profit as reporters at the Toron...
- Editors at Le Monde newspaper quit en masse
- Byline strike at Toronto Star
- Walrus unpaid interns are back — with pay
- On press freedom day, Egypt extends Canadian journ...
- Torstar sells Harlequin to News Corp. for $455M
- John Cruikshank becomes chair of Canadian Journali...
- Globe paid drug dealer $10,000 for 3 pictures
- ▼ May (18)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)