Apple Inc’s new version of its iPhone and iPad software will not include a pre-loaded app for Google Inc’s popular video website, YouTube, Apple said on Monday. It was the latest sign of the growing rivalry between the technology companies the once were closely aligned but now are vying for supremacy in the fast-growing mobile computing market.
Earlier this year, Apple said it would dump Google’s mapping software from its mobile devices.
“Apple and Google are the mobile operating systems for the future and
this is where the battleground is going to lie,” said Needham & Co
analyst Kerry Rice.
“If it’s going to be a two-horse race, you certainly don’t want to give the other horse any kind of lead,” he said.
- ► 2019 (47)
- ► 2018 (137)
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- Rules barring loud TV ads go into effect Saturday
- Toronto film fest concerned over missing Syrian fi...
- Sun Media sues cops over raid on reporter's home
- Malcolm Browne, AP Vietnam correspondent
- After Samsung, will Apple now sue Google
- Score Media takeover to boost tech-savvy viewers?
- Elizabeth Murdoch attacks News Corp values
- Anchor's canoodle gaffe an Internet favorite
- Rogers Communications to acquire Score Media
- Former journalist, Senator Joyce Fairbairn, suffer...
- Murdoch's Sun defies royals, prints naked Harry pi...
- Globe ME David Walmsley leaves for CBC
- Scandal-loving British media shy from naked Prince...
- Donkeys used as WiFi hotspots to add web surfing t...
- China’s state-run news agency being used to monito...
- Four Postmedia papers launch paywalls
- At rural newspapers, some publishers still resist ...
- Canadian Association of Journalists Montreal chapt...
- Star reporter makes grisly discovery in Scarboroug...
- Ramadan TV Gently Pushes Saudi Boundaries
- Myanmar ends direct media censorship
- WikiLeaks founder speaks from embassy balcony to a...
- Paul Godfrey: Rewriting a dire news story
- The story of the other Black
- Aggressive China media moves into Africa
- Latest shot at Bell-Astral deal comes from j-prof
- National Post will move to Greenwin Square
- Fareed Zakaria Didn’t Plagiarize!
- Mark Towlhey is mayor's new chief of staff
- "F-bomb, sexting , flexitarian, life coach"
- Natalie Stechyson wins Michelle Lang Fellowship
- Fareed Zakaria admits to plagiarism
- Olympians remember late Randy Starkman
- Google's search engine becomes new antipiracy weap...
- Pioneer of television celebrates turning 100
- Quebecor's Q2 profits hurt by weak newspaper adver...
- Pulse Newsreader Now Available on the Web
- Hillarious column by the Globe's Russell Smith
- Anti Bell-Astral takeover web page now working
- CBC filming Jack Layton movie
- N.Y. Times photog arrested on assignment in the Br...
- Cogeco, Eastlink, Quebecor launch campaign against...
- Apple won’t include YouTube app in new mobile soft...
- Olympic coverage earns mixed reviews at halfway ma...
- Who says newspapers are dead?
- The battle for Olympic information between new and...
- Is that an ad or a news story – and does it matter...
- Facebook says 83 million accounts may be fake
- What will CNN do to hold viewers?
- CBC pays unknown sum to air 2014, 2018 games
- Attack on Mexico paper ups plan to intimidate
- ▼ August (51)
- ► 2011 (750)
- ► 2010 (1055)