Al Jazeera television said on Tuesday it would not broadcast video footage of three deadly shootings in southern France filmed by an al-Qaeda-inspired gunman using a camera strapped to his body.
The Qatar-based news network also said it was declining all requests from other media outlets for copies of the footage.
The French government, and the CSA broadcast regulator, had urged television channels to refrain from running video clips that gunman Mohamed Merah told police he had filmed as he shot dead three Jewish children, a rabbi and three soldiers.
France is still reeling from the gruesome nature of the attacks, which saw Merah grab one little girl by the hair as he shot her at point-blank range in one of three shooting sprees before he was killed by police last week.
“In accordance with Al Jazeera’s Code of Ethics, given the video does not add any information that is not already in the public domain, its news channels will not be broadcasting any of its contents,” a spokesman for the network said in a statement.
The spokesman said Al Jazeera had passed the video footage on to the French police to help with their investigation.