Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Max Mosley, the former head of Formula One, has lost a high profile case at the European Court of Human Rights that would have required newspapers to warn people in advance before publishing details of their private lives. Mosley, who won an earlier landmark privacy case in the English courts against the News of the World newspaper, said the UK failed to impose a legal duty on newspapers to notify subjects in advance of a story appearing. Pre-notification would allow subjects to then obtain a court injunction preventing publication, he argued. However the European court in Strasbourg ruled unanimously on Tuesday that there had been no violation of the European Convention on Human Rights, and that to introduce a pre-notification requirement would have a “chilling effect” on journalism.
Three years ago, when Mr Mosley was about to step down as the head of the FIA, the regulating body of Formula One, the News of the World ran a story under the headline “F1 boss has sick Nazi orgy with five hookers”.
He later sued the newspaper in the High Court claiming damages for breach of confidence and invasion of privacy and won £60,000 in damages. Mosley is the son of the late Oswald Mosley, leader of a fascist party in pre-war Britain.
- ► 2019 (47)
- ► 2018 (137)
- ► 2017 (183)
- ► 2016 (278)
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (262)
- ► 2013 (365)
- ► 2012 (644)
- Conrad Black loses appeal at U.S. Supreme Court
- Pakistani journalist found dead after reported arr...
- The battle of the breakfast babble
- Bell's A network renamed CTV Two
- Citytv, 680 and Maclean’s team on 24-hour news channe
- NatPost photog Tyler Anderson win PJ of the year a...
- Toronto Star stringer arrested, then expelled from...
- Readers annoyed at Daily Telegraph about Royal hon...
- HuffPost employees flee AOL after "brutal" "awful"...
- Toronto Star story on bringing up baby "genderless...
- Hackers steal personal Information of thousands fr...
- Péladeau says CRTC should ease TV rules
- Huffington Post sets up shop in Canada
- Montreal Gazette tries out user-pay model
- Fox News selling fear says Rolling Stone writer
- CNBC's Mark Haines dead at 65
- NYC judge allows lawsuit against Huffington Post
- ESPN tell-all spills hardball business, frat-boy c...
- Can Canadian broadcasters compete with free?
- Media pretends the world is ending
- Liberty Media Bids for Barnes & Noble .
- Google newspaper scanning project scrapped
- French media fell down on the job
- The Media Circus Outside the DSK Court Hearing
- 57 years of Playboy online
- China recruits media for food safety
- B.C. journalist Dorothy Parvaz released by Iran
- Maid in DSK case named by French media
- Bin Laden photo fight pits White House vs press
- The enduring impact of Matt Drudge
- News Corp to publish political donations
- Gay CNN Anchor Sees Risk in Book
- CP's Colin Perkel survives Afghanistran chopper cr...
- The good news is it could be worse
- French media in turmoil over sex charges
- Canada's changed media landscape also changes annu...
- Globe and Mail scoops up most Natioanl Newspaper A...
- Jon Stewart's popular U.S. TV show mocks Quebec to...
- Online media is replacing newspapers and TV. Is th...
- Calgary columnist tells media to grow up and treat...
- New York Times' share of newspaper sites' traffic ...
- Detained Canadian reporter now in Iranian custody
- Microsoft snaps up Skype to keep rivals at bay
- Facebook had 7.5 million U.S. users under the age ...
- Sportsnet host ‘under attack’ for knocking gay mar...
- Yiddish newspaper apologizes for erasing Clinton f...
- Max Mosley loses newspaper privacy case
- Moncton Times & Transcript cleans up in Atlantic j...
- Pakistan bans live broadcast by foreign channels f...
- U.K. press watchdog looks to regulate journalists'...
- Osama bin Laden books rushing to market
- TV anchor sues newspaper over criticism of comment...
- Canadian Al Jazeera journalist being held in Syria
- CRTC gives local programs a hand
- China creates new agency for patrolling the Internet
- Digital subscriptions boost Wall Street Journal ci...
- Quebecor pulls Sun News from Bell TV
- North Vancouver journalist vanishes in Syria
- So much for the media, social or otherwise!
- Walrus leads National Magazine Awards nominations ...
- Brian Segal to leave Rogers Publishing
- Ownership of TV Sets Falls in U.S.
- Hamilton Spectator sweeps Ontario Newspaper Awards
- Elections act limits online comments, social media
- Michael MacMillan back in the media industry
- ▼ May (65)
- ► 2010 (1055)